Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Background: This ten year old boy from Florida had ADHD symptoms and was doing very poorly in school. The boy was unorganized and unfocused in class causing his teachers to have to work extra hard to get him to pay attention. He was often forgetful and had trouble connecting socially with his peers. The faculty at the school told the mother that if things didn’t change, the boy would maybe have to change schools. The school encouraged the boy’s mother to find an appropriate intervention to help curb her son’s attention problems. The mother wanted to find an alternative to medication and decided to have the boy go through the Cogmed training program. The boy took the training very seriously and his mother worked hard to help him stay motivated through the five weeks.
After the training, there was a dramatic turnaround for the child. There was significant improvement in his math and reading scores and the boy’s self confidence has increased. The mother said that the results were too good to be true and the boy is no longer in danger of needing to change schools. The teachers at the school are thrilled with the changes that the boy made after Cogmed training and are interested in using Cogmed for other students.
- Had ADHD symptoms
- Was doing poorly in school
- Could not stay focused in class
- Was unorganized at home and at school
- Was a social outlier amongst his peers
- Needed a lot of attention from teachers
- Was in danger of needing to switch schools because of his attention problems
- Grades improved significantly – namely in math and reading
- Is more organized
- Has increased self confidence – is more socially aware
- Is able to stay focused and concentrate better
- Teachers are thrilled with the results
- Is able to stay at his current school